Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 32: Grandpa Dean

Father's day got me thinking of things. Lots of things. One of these things was how amazing my grandfather is.

Grandpa Dean:

works hard
taught me how to hook a worn
taught me how to change a flat
loves snicker-doodles and apple pie
taught me how to cook a steak
has made me a more tolerant human
reminds me that good men exist
wears a button-up every day (even if he's working in his wood shop or the yard)
gives hugs that fix any problem
talks sense into me when I'm nonsensical
taught me how to back up a trailer (I never perfected it)
sat through graduations, volleyball games, and track meets
makes beautiful furniture
has helped me move in and out of houses
gives me advice that makes me cry it's so tender
encourages and nourishes my ambitions
is the ultimate handyman
still teases me about boys
talks smack when we play cards and pool
is an unbelievable human being
is protective
cooks a mean tenderloin
finds good in everyone
genuinely cares about his family
is the man


I hope I turn out like Grandpa Dean when I grow up. 

























My grandpa is what's right in the world.

1 comment: